UCT second half magic beats Tygerberg

8 : 35 UCT

UCT travelled to Florida  Park in Tygerberg on the 14th April to take on Tygerberg in the annual Tiger’s Cup match. Both teams and supporters observed a minute’s silence for Emmanuel McKenzie who passed away last year whilst playing for Tygerberg. Emmanuel had played for both clubs during his rugby career.

UCT took to the park
with great enthusiasm and gusto. Unfortunately UCT failed to capitalize
early on, with Gareth Wright unusually missing two penalties. However,
UCT eventually got on the board with a penalty by Wright, after a great
inside ball from Kevin Foote to Jody Burch who busted through the
defence to offload to David Edgar, who was brought down short of the
line, where Tygerberg conceded a penalty, the score 3-0.
Tygerberg got onto the board with a penalty after the referee ruled
that James Richards had late tackled the Tygerberg wing the score, 3-3.
UCT then turned on the pressure to camp in the Tygerberg half.
Prominent in the try was JJ Gagiano and the other loose forwards. Some
great ball retention and rucking saw UCT in the Tygerberg twenty-two, a
quick ball to the right, 3 UCT attackers on 5 Tygerberg defenders, the
pass to JJ who used his speed to slice through the defence, with a big
(get off the bus) hand off on the desperate cross cover, JJ offloaded
to Richard Lawson who scored in the corner, the score 8-3. 

UCT once again
put points on the board through James Richards, who thought he was
Morne Steyn for a split second, drop-kick from the Tygerberg 10m line
puts UCT ahead 11-3. Some outstanding play by the UCT loose trio, Jody
Burch, Luzuko Panya and JJ Gagiano saw the Tygerberg attack halted at
every attempt. Unfortunately the referee who had had enough of the one
sided rucking by UCT, gave Jody a yellow card for either repeated
infringement or hands-in. UCT now down to 14 men turned up the pressure
on Tygerberg, who were pinned in their half for most of the first half,
outstanding play by Mike Ledgewidge and Brock helped to pin the now
disheartened Tygerberg team down. UCT at this staged replaced Brock
with newcomer to the club JP Costa, who was absolutely outstanding, JP
busted the Tygerberg backline wide open with a pic-up at the base of
the ruck, JP proceeded to run untouched to score under the poles. Score

After half time UCT were first to get on the board. James Richards put
up a bomb but was late tackeld by a Tygerberg player, penalty on the
22m, Gareth Wright slotting the penalty with ease, the score 21-3. The
next try was an outstanding show of individual brilliance and speed.
Tygerberg missed a kick for touch, Lawson gathered the ball at the
back, flung a wide ball to Rob Hopwood, who turned on the after burners
to round the entire Tygerberg team from the halfway line, to score in
under the poles, the score 28-3.
UCT capitalised once again from JP’s line breaks. JP smashing the
Tygerberg centre combination apart offloaded to David Clayton, who
flung a wide ball to Rob Howood again, who again turned on the pace, to
score in the corner. Gareth Wright duly converted the try, score 35-3. At this
stage in the game the referee had obviously stopped timing the game or
had alternatively forgotten that a rugby game is 40 min a half. After
playing loads of over time, Tygerberg were finally able to get onto the
scoreboard by scoring in the corner after some concerted pressure on
the UCT line.UCT walk away with maximum points after receiving bonus
points. Well done to UCT XV with their resounding victory over

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *