Sampson hattrick buries Helderberg

UCT 36:8 Helderberg

The Ikeys dominated their home match day, with all the teams winning and scoring a total of 42 tries to 5 outclassing their opposition on all levels. The 1st XV, the Ikey Tigers had a bit of a stop start affair, with a pedantic ref and way too many handling errors, but were never in danger and recored a convincing 36:8 victory – scoring 6 tries to Helderberg’s single consolation try.  

UCT started the game with five knock-ons in as many minutes and to add to the wobbly start, scrumhalf Danie van der Merwe had to be replaced early with an ankle injury. This marked WP Currie Cup scrum half Paul Delport’s welcome return to the rugby field, after he had been sidelined by extended injury issues.  

UCT’s first try came after an aimless Helderberg kick that fullback Dave Clayton collected. He stepped the two chasing defenders and sprinted the points home from the half-way mark. Next there was a bizarre deja-vu kind of phase, that had the Ikeys knock-on on the Helderberg 22, the guests winning their scrum under pressure and kicking the ball out on the halfway. UCT won the lineout there and attacked, with the same result, knock-on on the 22 – scrum, kick for touch, lineout, attack, knock-on again, scrum, lineout, attack. Eventually Paul Delport delivered the Ikeys from this bizarre scenario, when he showed excellent pace and vision to finish off an 8 – 9 – 14 move that never needed to be passed to the lurking Marvin Christians on the wing.

The students’ scrums and line-outs were again excellent, Helderberg were under immense pressure in both and them having an overeager flank sent to the cooler 20 minutes in, didn’t help their cause.

The game was still very much stop start and UCT’s backline was guilty of spoiling ball after ball that the forwards won and they received well on the front foot. 35 minutes into the match UCT had the put-in, to a scrum just outside Helderberg’s 22 metre line. UCT won the ball with a clean right shoulder, and the ball was played wide to Dave Edgar.  Edgar scored a majestic try by beating his opposite number round on his outside. The try was converted by Dave Clayton, whom had taken over the kicking duties and UCT claimed a 19:3 halftime lead. At the re-start after this try, just before the break the Helderberg flank who had just returned from the sin bin took out Mpho Mbyozo in the air and got his marching orders for good.

The half time comment this week, offered by Dane Galley and Brad Gornell: ‘Dave Edgar is beating Helderberg like a red-headed step brother. Why is this man not playing Currie Cup?” 

The 2nd half started much in the same way as the first, it appeared that UCT was lacking a bit of cohesion. 10 minutes into the half, Delport made a skip pass from the base of a ruck, an inside pass was given to Marcello Sampson, who was tackled while carrying the ball over the line and scored. The try was converted by Dave Clayton. Ten minutes later UCT retained possession for a length of time, and simply ground their way forward using brute force. This led to a try in the corner close to a ruck again by Marcello Sampson.

UCT then rang the changes, but it was Helderberg who despite being a man down started attacking with newly found energy.  They had a break and their wing and fullback chased a perfect kick down the touchline into the UCT in-goal area – but it was Rob Hopwood on for Marvin Christians who saved the certain try covering from the far wing and dotting down before the attackers.

Shortly after Helderberg got their well deserved consolation try after some extended pressure following another well executed chip kick.

The last try came after a great UCT break in midfield, where it was Sampson again who ran a great support line and twisted out of a cover defender’s tackle to dot down under the posts.

UCT in typical fashion made it hard for themselves albeit perfect windless conditions, great froward domination and being a man up for most of the game. There were however glimpses of hope, one of them being Paul Delport who played an excellent 75 minutes and was the Ikeys most accurate player. Young Kyle Brown again made a great impact off the bench and it was flank Luzuko Panya who earned himself the Tim Lane Big Hit award for smashing an opposition forward. Like last weekend, it was again a lock, this time hard working Mike Ledwidge who was the man of the match, standing out in defense and at the breakdown.

The Ikeys have a well deserved break next weekend after taking 20 points from 5 matches and sitting on 4th with 42 log points well ahead of rivals Villagers on 5th with only 27 log points, both have played 13 matches. They are then gearing up for a final series of tough games against Durbanville Bellville, Villagers, NNK, Hamiltons and Maties.

Tries: Sampson 3, Edgar, Clayton, Delport

Ikey Tigers:
1. Vakai “Fish” Hove, 2. JP Koster, 3. Thembelai Mayosi, 4. Mike Ledwige, 5. Bodo Sieber, 6. Enoch Panya, 7. Mpho Mbiyozo, 8. JJ Gagiano (c), 9. Danie van der Merwe, 10. Peter Haw, 11. Marvin Christians, 12. James Martin 13. Dave Edgar (vc). 14. Marcelo Sampson 15 Dave Clayton 

Dayne Jans, Ian Matthews, Michael Passaportis, Jody Burch, Kyle Brown, Paul Delport, James Bailes, Rob Hopwood