Ikeys Annual Club Dinner 2022
The Ikey Tigers held an informal dinner at the Jack Black Brewery on Thursday 8 December. On arrival guests were handed disks for beer and burgers and the celebrations started, over 200 people packing into the venue. Even a power failure and the heat couldn’t dampen spirits.
Special guest Dallen Stanford joined via video link from a cold USA and added his usual humour to proceedings. Old stories of his playing days, tours including Oxford and his tackle on Nick Mallet at a rugby function were shared.
There were a few boat races, firstly between two generations of old Ikeys, nominated from the floor, followed by the classic boat race between the Ikey Tigers and Oxford Blues, won narrowly by Oxford.
A Q&A was hosted by Advocate Herbie Mayosi, a legendary Ikey prop in his day, with coach Tom Dawson-Squibb and captain Luthando Woji. There were chats around the influence of coaches, personal rugby journeys and motivations for being involved with rugby and the Ikeys.
There were some well-known rugby personalities who attended the event including Nick Mallet, Gary Gold and Jaco Taute.
The last event of the night before the DJ got into full swing was the prizegiving. Prizes were handed out for the following achievements:
- 2nd team Eagles; Player of the Year; Ross Hubert
- 3rd team Bears ;Player of the Year; Hakeem Adams
- U20 B Babrows Player of the Year; Jerome Iwande
- Swifts Women’s Player of the Year; Insaaf Levy
- Swifts Women’s Players Player of the Year; Siphesihle Masango
- U20 A Cubs Values and Service to the Club; Captain Thabo Mbata
- U20 A Players Player of the Year; Jaden Van Der Merwe
- U20 A Player of the Year; Thomas Nel (M Muller)
- First Team Rookie of the Year; Suleiman Hartzenberg
- First Team Players Player of the Year; Sipho Dyonasse
- First Team Player of the Year; Sipho Dyonasse
- UCT RFC Values and Service to the Cub Trophy; Luthando Woji (Captain)